Monday, December 3, 2012

Snow Patrol

I literally just discovered this band today. I had never heard of this British alternative rock group until someone mentioned they had gone to one of their concerts recently. I figured I would check it out for my blog and here I am.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about Snow Patrol. While they have been around for several years, I focused my analysis on their most current album “Fallen Empires” because artists and bands develop so much in a single career (I mean just look at the Beatles!). I am rather tired, so I didn’t have time to listen to the album in its entirety but I picked out some of their top-chart songs to look at.

Overall, I think Snow Patrol is a pretty polished band. The vocals in all of their songs sound soft and tender. This works well for them because in the happier pop-like songs it adds a level of innocence and energy. When they sing their sadder tunes, the soft vocals enforce the melancholy mood and makes me connect with the song. In this aspect, they are very endowed artists. They have really developed their skill set to an internationally recognized and cherished stage. Through listening to a few of their newer songs, I noticed that the vocals are not the only great aspect about this band. They also have consistent talent-filled countermelodies. If this is accomplished through a guitar/bass background or a slow piano sound, it ultimately adds depth to their songs.

Another thing that this band does very well, and something that I haven’t seen a lot in current music, is their versatility. Unfortunately, I think this extreme versatility creeps on the verge of inconsistency. While a lot of things remain consistent, their songs sound very different from one another. At times, I can hear vocal similarities with certain vocal ticks but for a majority of the songs, it could be a completely different band performing.

While this band sounds a lot like a polished version of Coldplay, certain qualities about their music doesn’t appeal to me. Although I enjoy a complete “story” for a song, Snow Patrol seems to overdo this a bit. They have a little too much introduction for my taste. It takes about a minute and a half in each song for them to actually reach a point where other instruments (besides the original basic sounds in the background) are added and meshed into the song. From that point, their songs generally are good, but it is painstakingly laborious to reach that point. I had to summon up all my will just to prevent myself from fast forwarding to the main chorus.

Now, I’m not saying this band is bad. They have a tenderness and lyrical depth that appeals to me. I think this entire “alternative rock” genre is a new thing that I have discovered that fuses together some solid sounds. While I don’t believe Snow Patrol is as good as other bands/artists I’ve analyzed (like Imagine Dragons or Alex Clare) they definitely are a talented group.

I’ll just quickly post some songs about them below so that you can check them out yourself. The first song I’ll post is “Called Out In The Dark”. It starts with a pretty catchy electric bass sound and basic snare beat. You can see what I was talking about in that it has a slow start, though. After a minute and twenty seconds, it begins to pick up. Vocal fluctuations along with guitar and synthesized countermelodies in the background pick up the pace of this song nicely. Check it out. It’s actually pretty awesome:


The next song is “New York”. This song has a very forlorn and melancholy sound. The music video makes this about ten times worse. The simple soft vocals at the beginning with charged and deliberate piano introduces a very emotionally powerful song. Be moved, go check this song out:


“In The End” is another one of their recent hits. False-setto mixed with vocal ticks adds variety in this song in the company of a fast-paced driving beat and bass. It is kind of contradicting because the vocals are smooth and almost crooning, while the countermelody alone is almost hard rock. Check it out:


As I continue to listen to this band, I keep discovering new things that are great! While I have some nitpicky things against their sound, Snow Patrol definitely has a multitude of strengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment