Friday, November 30, 2012

The Band

I think I found another group of artists that have struck a source of inspiration in me. I generally tell people that I can’t stand country music. Now that I am broadening my horizons a bit, I have realized that this is just because it is a watered down, pop-based style of country that is relatively new to the music industry. I consider a lot of The Band’s songs to be within the country section of music and I love how the band members mesh perfectly together. Their songs aren’t limited to just the classification of country, though. In a variety of their songs, I can see them categorized in a lot of different areas of music. They have the funk and energy of soul music. They have the rebellious edge and vocals of a true rock group. They also (almost) have the lyrical depth of artists like Bob Dylan (No surprise, they actually worked with the great poetic songwriter). Sometimes I think they even have a little bit of folk thrown into all of the mix!

Their variety and well-roundedness as musicians isn’t even what most appeals to me as a listener. I find the fact that they are able to take these fantastic aspects across the board of styles and basically create their own unique genre. While they have deep lyrics, I’m not bored to death from exhausting and painfully boring countermelodies and vocals. They are able to use fantastic lyrics and mix it in with catchy tunes. I never thought I would be so attracted towards country-style music (besides Mumford and Sons which I think in turn probably were influenced by this amazing band).

To me, The Band is revolutionary. Many may disagree with this statement but I think that their ability and talent shined through. They have a lasting effect and their style and talent impacted me greatly as a listener. Not many artists can do that! I seriously cannot wait to listen to more of this band. I feel that, if I put all of my favorite artists of today and blended their sounds, I might come close to getting the same caliber of music.

I know I’m raving a lot about this group without much evidence to back it up. Well, let’s give you something to listen to so that you can be as thrilled as I was to hear this phenomenal art. First things first, I have to blog about their hit “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down”. I can’t get enough of this song! Their edgy introduction, backed up with flashy bass strums, adds to the passionate voice of Robertson which ultimately drives the song forward. He also has a lot of key vocal ticks that add flavor to the melody. I think he has a very polished voice yet still possesses the edgy tone that makes these songs sound so “real”. Additionally, this song ventures into uncharted territory regarding inflammatory lyrics. COMPLETELY contrasting my last blog analyzing how simplistic lyrics are currently, this song is on the same caliber of lyrical depth as Bob Dylan! Who just sits down one day and writes about the Civil War in the perspective of the Confederates? Maybe a bunch of backyard hillbillies, but not a group of successful music artists from Canada! At the height of the Civil Rights Movement, this is even more astounding that this song even got released, let alone become a major success. Check it out, it’s a real hit:


The next song is “Up on Cripple Creek”. This song starts out with a funky introduction which leads right into a series of accentuated harmonies throughout the song. The first few measures of this song are a great example of how harder rock influenced their music. This part is intensive in guitar/bass and some great rhythms thrown in there too. There is also a throaty, frog-like bass sound that picks up the slack between main verses. Additinoally, the vocals tend to go towards a more folky sound. I also don’t think I mentioned the fact that I find it awesome that the vocalist also plays the drums. Personally, as a percussionist, I can only imagine how hard that would be. Overall, they prove once again, they can carry out perfect harmonies and deliver a catchy tune. Check it out:


The final song is “Rag Mama Rag”. This has a very pretty epic introduction that hooked me on this song. It begins with a great, energetic fiddle rock that flows right into a great hip-hop-like kick drum entrance. The main countermelody continues throughout the course of the song and I’m literally bobbing in my seat right now to the captivating rhythms. The enthusiastic piano adds to the ragtime sound that makes this song sound so wild. Check out another fantastic song by The Band:


Overall, I am pretty impressed with their musical ability and songwriting. I think this is a very multifaceted and talented band and deserves a lot of kudos for their art.

No comments:

Post a Comment