Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Lumineers

I was bored earlier so I decided (as a music fan) to see what was new on the Billboard Top 100 List. I skipped by all of the talentless artists (ie Kesha, Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj…) and a gem caught my eye. I noticed that slotted at number 11 at the top of the charts was a song done by a band named The Lumineers. At times, I feel out of the loop with certain artists and bands so I decided I would go exploring.

Apparently, The Lumineers have been around for a few years now but they only really began to become well known and successful in the past year. I think I’ll wait until vacation, when I have more time, to listen to their latest album (unimaginatively named “The Lumineers”) in its entirety, but they have several hits from this album that sum up their music pretty well.

At the heart, there is nothing fresh or new about The Lumineers. I would bet that any semi-talented group of artists with a good sound could pull of a Lumineers song. I’m not saying that their music is bad, just simplistic. I think that in a way, this is how The Lumineers are making an impact in the music world today and why they have recently sparked in popularity. While other groups and artists are trying desperately to come out with the latest and greatest techno-sound or the most fresh and unique style, they are simply returning to the basics of music. When I listen to their music, I feel that nothing is kept secret from me, as the listener. They use basic instruments to put together an amazing rustic sound which deeply contrasts the noise and clutter enveloping the rest of the music world. The Lumineers have veered far away from the technology wave that is taking over modern music. I hear no auto-tune or any computer generated sounds.

There is nothing “special” about The Lumineers sound except for the fact that they are simplistic. This form of simplicity starkly contrasts the type of simplicity I outlined in my earlier blog “Plague of Simplicity” because here I am referring to the rustic instrumentals rather than the lyrical poem being created. Speaking to that point; The Lumineers sing lyrics that come straight from the heart and soul. This ability is rarely heard in music and I greatly appreciated it. The links I’ll post later on in this blog will be the lyric videos so you can see just how amazing their lyrics are! While they aren’t discussing secular problems like Bob Dylan, they write about heartfelt emotions such as love in a poetic manner. The delivery of the lyrics also make me feel that the band means what they say. And I think that’s one of the most appreciated things an artist can do.

The fact that their hit single “Ho Hey” spiked to the top of the charts is also very intriguing. As I continue to analyze music, I keep seeing this folk/alternative rock music sneaking into the frequent playlists of the world. I think we are seeing the pendulum of musical tastes starting to swing away from the clutter of noise and back to the basics as seen in the 60s. Who knows, maybe I’m wrong, but I think people are finding this genre refreshing because they can connect with it and it feels more “down to earth”. I definitely feel this way as a listener and The Lumineers are among the bands (such as Mumford and Sons or Imagine Dragons) that I think are taking music down a less traveled path. By paving a pathway for alternative music and creating lyrical poems, The Lumineers fit right into a growing part of my heart for this genre of music.

Okay, now for some samplers! Before their hit single “Ho Hey” came out, The Lumineers were virtually unknown. This single made their popularity sky-rocket. If you hit the play button below, you’ll quickly learn why. Their music seems so fluid and connected while spicing it up with cleverly placed accents and vocal ticks. The building vocals add to the “down to earth” vibe. If you haven’t already heard this song, you need to:


Another one of their top hits off of their latest album is “Stubborn Love”. While this is another love song, they deliver it perfectly. The introduction is a little too folk-like for my tastes but it picks up pretty well as the song progresses. Once again, there’s nothing much to this song, but everything just meshes together and works well. The lead vocals are also a major part of all of their songs, including “Stubborn Love”. While the lyrics are very powerful and emotionally-charged, they are delivered with a softer tone. Overall, this is a great song as well. Do yourself a favor and read the lyrics as the song plays:


No comments:

Post a Comment