Monday, October 22, 2012

Revolver Hits One Out of the Park

The Beatles are back at it again! By this time, they are actually starting to see a variety of competition come out of the wood-work. How can the Beatles compete with all of these rising bands such as the Stones, the Who, and the Beach Boys? Easy, they’re the Beatles.

Revolver was only released about three years after the Beatles’ first album. Remember that first blog I posted a while ago? The bubbly songs like “Please Please Me” and “I Saw Her Standing There” were vibrating off of Harrison’s guitar just a mere three years. The rapid pace in which the Beatles have developed as a band and the music they create is astounding. It has been relatively gradual too. It took several albums to ease into their new versatile selves who dared to throw in crazy bumps in a once uniform pop-like blend of songs. I bet that if the Beatles went back in time to themselves three years prior to releasing Revolver and told themselves that they would incorporate a sitar into their songs; they would be revered as insane (especially considering the fact that they would be talking to themselves).

When the album first started, I was utterly surprised at the first several songs. This wasn’t a feeling of surprise you get when you pass by a dead skunk; rather, a feeling you would get at a surprise birthday party. While I was not expecting certain aspects of the music that highlighted a new wild side released from within each of the band members, I was still content with their harmonies, melodies, and lyrics. I think that my love for the Beatles has grown and matured into something different. While I believe some of their older songs sounded more hip, I think I respect them more for their pure ability now after hearing them in a variety of genres and styles. This takes guts too! After being successful in one area, evolving into something that is unknown is a pretty gutsy move (especially in a field as fickle as music which all depends on the mood of the audience).  Because they are able to be so successful with whatever they do and adapt to changing music styles, I revere them very highly (as you can see given that I write every third blog about them).

Anyway, back to Revolver. I feel the influence of the Beach Boys ooze out of the speaker when I listen to this. This is most predominant at the very beginning of the album and through a couple of songs interspersed later on. In these five-ish songs, the Beatles adopted the orchestral sound of the Beach Boys. I was disappointed that they ditched some of their classic instruments in these songs, but the sound was unique and fresh to Beatles music. And it worked with the beautiful harmonies created by this band. In two of their songs, they use straight string instrumentals in order to carry the countermelody. In another song, “Got to Get You into My Life” they use a brass section with a predominant trumpet sound. In this song, they are able to use it to add musical background to an otherwise swing-like catchy beat and vocals. With brass instruments, I get a jazzy vibe. On the other hand, in the songs that use pure string instrumentals, I receive a vibe of complexity and emotion. For example, in “Eleanor Rigby”, the Beatles are able to conjure a sad message, yet at the same time, make a catchy tune and also sound complex and deep!



If this wasn’t enough, they threw in another song with an epic sitar solo at the beginning that drags on for what seems like eons. I feel like I entered an Indian jungle and met a native tribe during a ceremony. The sitar starkly contrasts the otherwise pop-like Beatles and utterly blew my mind when I first heard it. It was totally unexpected. Check it out:


By this time I’m thinking that this album has lost hope of ever hearing anything like the old beloved Beatles again. Not so! The Beatles have a way of tugging at my emotions, I’ve noticed. As soon as I think I’m disappointed, they make it so that I want more. By the fifth song of the album, they reverted back to a classic love song. The sixth song, “Yellow Submarine” was bland in my opinion, but they really hit their stride in the middle of this album! “She Said She Said” has a pretty epic introduction and sick beats. I feel like this song could have been a rival contender during the hard rock age. It just feels right for some reason, even though it contrasts my beloved early Beatles style. Additionally, the Beatles threw in a couple of classic-sounding songs like “Good Day Sunshine” that really tied the album back together in a nice knot. Check out these songs too.




I know this seems like a lot of videos, but it’s because this album is so full of intrigue! I can’t stop myself! I was literally sitting in front of YouTube with fourteen tabs open trying to decide which songs to highlight in this blog. Overall, this album offered some welcomed twists in the Beatles music but satisfied me as a whole. I definitely recommend this for further listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment