Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Gangnam Style - How Internet Affects Music

You’re peacefully browsing the Internet looking for something to do because you’re bored (like always). YouTube looks fun so you type it into the URL box, mess up, and then correct it. Internet Explorer finally loads (because you STILL haven’t upgraded to Google Chrome) and… BAM!

YouTube is blowing up with images of some wild Korean guy in a suit and sunglasses. The sidebars advertise some guy named Psy and this interesting dance move called Gangnam Style. What is this madness?

If you haven’t heard about the music video sensation Gangnam Style, you haven’t lived. It fits right into a common trend of YouTube where videos spike to popularity and dominate the web. Gangnam Style is a fresh, catchy music video that is twisted with goofy Korean humor that sustains throughout the entire world. It obviously has some magic ingredient that has sparked the web into frenzy.

Released in mid-July of this year, Gangnam Style has gotten over 415 million views on YouTube and has soared on the charts of countries around the world. This K-Pop, electro-rap song combines the perfect combination of techo sounds and humorous interpretation; not to mention the insanely funny accompanying dance. It doesn’t matter that the lyrics are in Korean because the humor transfers so well and the cheesy dance itself can be utilized in any song (in my opinion).

Dancing and humor aside which have shot Gangnam Style and Korean rapper Psy to worldwide popularity, the music in this song is really catchy just by itself.

I love this song! While I will analyze the more serious topic of Internet influence on music later, I want to write about this song first. There is a driving beat with various electronic/dubstep sounds similar to Skrillex screeching. While it is mostly composed of electronically produced noises, this song works for me because that energy is transferred to the listener. The insane, yet steady, “instrumentals” make up the major counter melody and beat while Psy takes on the main vocals. Despite lack of variation, I feel satisfied because of the spices added into the song every once in a while, like a drop mid-way through the song. The counter melody actually repeats its self over and over again but the variations in the lyrics also make the song sound fresh and different after each part. Additionally, this song would seriously be lacking in my book if it was not accompanied with a music video. The video carries the entire song for me. It serves a purpose of providing the storyline for the song; making the Korean lyrics make sense, even though the majority of people would normally be lost. Because of the story associated with the music along with the driving counter melody of dubstep sounds, the music sounds epic. Check it out here:


Another very important aspect of this song is the pure choreography. In my opinion, this makes the song. Psy is seen in various places such as a sauna, a party bus, a deserted highway, a horse barn and around the city doing a very simplistic dance that mimics riding a horse. He starts out dancing by himself and actors are seen dancing one at a time. For some reason, Psy does not look awkward doing the dance like so many other people; he actually looks cool. Then as he is dancing throughout the song, he gains more and more dancers as new characters are introduced, until he has an entire arena full of people doing his insanely funny dance. I feel that the dance itself is the main meat of this music video and is more important to the success of the song than even the music.

Want to impress your friends? Learn how to do Gangnam Style with Psy on the Ellen Show:


All humor aside, I’d also like to briefly talk about how I think YouTube and the Internet has affected our listening habits. In one of my previous blog posts, I talked about how singles have evolved from album listening. Building off of this, I think that Gangnam Style provides a good example of how the Internet is able to drastically impact how we listen to music. People no longer have to wait days or even weeks to buy the newest album or song by their favorite artists. As soon as songs are released, the web and media explode them out to the world. Everybody can instantly listen to songs. I feel that this is a great way to be exposed to a variety of music. I am no longer limited to just what is in my CD case at home. I am able to instantly find a song from a known title, artist, even a major lyric. The rate of which that YouTube and other online media sources are able to fan out music astounds me.

Additionally, with the increasing popularity of music videos on YouTube, I think that the entertainer (not the pure musician) has risen to higher popularity. People start to care more if an artist is able to entertain, astound, or surprise them more than their pure musical capabilities, harmonies, and skill set. While I think that this is problematic on some levels, and doesn’t give respect to the really talented people in the industry, I also think that this is refreshing at times. While I highly value artists’ talent in vocals, instrumentals, and song-writing, when I’m doing average things during the day, I don’t necessarily care about these things. I just want something I can dance to and/or laugh at. I think that this is what most people feel too. They like good, solid music, yet have a vice for something different and bold. That is definitely what Gangname Style brings to the music industry. While Psy is not necessarily the best vocalist (I mean he is a rapper) and his song doesn’t possess skill in instrumental performance, it is catchy and wild.

And that’s all it needs to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment