Friday, October 19, 2012

Beach Boys - "Pet Sounds"

The Americans surge again! While the Beatles continue to release a variety of hits in their albums Rubber Sole, Revolver, and Sergeant Pepper, the Beach Boys are a group that deserves rightful attention. While starting out writing a lot of fluffy music lacking depth, throughout their careers, the Beach Boys have shown an evolution of their music. The constantly are competing with the Beatles during this time period because their vocals sound extremely similar. The Beach Boys are somewhat like the Beatles 2.0 in the album Pet Sounds. They hit very pleasing harmonies to the ear and showed a progression toward better music.

I don’t know how they are able to do it either. This album has harmonies and vocals that have not been matched by any other band that I’ve heard all year. They show a different side to rock that drastically varies any other artists up until that point. The only ones in the same universe as them are the Beatles and I would even dare say that this album possesses qualities that surpass some of the Beatles’ later released songs. One of the pros, in my opinion, of the Beach Boys is that they evolved into better music while I kind of feel that the Beatles slowly made a plateau. Additionally, the Beach Boys created deeper songs than their original album which was highly focused on girls (sound familiar? *cough*Beatles*cough*).

“Pet Sounds” is full of songs that vary drastically. The first four songs of this album sound very soft and even classical. They perform long slow harmonies amongst a smooth melody. By the fifth song, though, they start out with a bang that really grabs me by the shirt collar and shakes me awake. I feel that this was needed in the album. The powerful timpani and snare drum abruptly contrasts the crooning in the first songs of the album. The fifth song of the album, named “I’m Waiting for the Day”, possesses certain qualities that match preceding songs in this album. They keep their basic harmonies and sounds the same, yet implement them in a fresh manner. This album works well because the variation adds needed spice to an album that would go on the verge of bland from the repetition of the first four songs. I’m not saying that the first four songs were bad (because they were amazing!) but if the Beach Boys kept all of their songs like this, I would turn off the album after the fifth song. And this is exactly where they started to pick it up! Check out what I mean. Below are two videos. One is from the beginning of the album and the other is “I’m Waiting for the Day”. I think you’ll notice what I’m getting at:





Now by the time the sixth song hits, I know this album is going to be a hit. The Beach Boys have the guts to throw in not one, but TWO instrumentals! Talk about being different. Most albums don’t even try touching an instrumental. I generally don’t like pure instrumentals because, most of the time, they are not implemented well. The first one named “Let’s Go Away for Awhile”, however, by the Beach boys is done very well. Unlike certain songs (*cough* The Ox *cough*) that seem like an uncontrolled jumble without the vocals to lead them, this song shows that it is stable all by itself. I feel a story being told throughout the melody and counter melody that actually makes me feel emotion. Overall I am just moved by the gorgeous music. And coming from me, that’s something. I don’t usually describe music as gorgeous. Maybe epic. Or wicked. But not often gorgeous. See it for yourself:



While the Beach Boys started out being a very fluffy band without any meat, this album throws away any of those stereotypes. Through just the lyrics, they venture into more in-depth topics. Additionally, I feel a wholesome quality in their voice that drives a more soul-based sub group of the genre of rock. They fall into the same area of the Beatles yet possess even more soul, seen through Otis Redding. I’m not saying that they sound like Otis Redding’s distinct deep vocals (because they don’t at all), but their styles are somewhat relatable as I feel they are based heavily on vocals. This is why the instrumental songs in the middle of the album seem so out of place. I feel like these are welcoming intermissions to a great play. And overall, the Beach Boys sound united under this soul, vocal-based sound.

While obviously heavily influenced by the Beatles in their song-writing and musical style, the Beach Boys have an important place in the development and evolution of rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment