Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Straight Outta Compton - NWA

At first glance, I thought there was no possibility of me liking the heavy rap released by NWA. I felt so disconnected from their messages and they rely HEAVILY on profanity to fill in gaps in their musical message. Even the titles of their songs give a formidable impression: “Fuck Tha Police”, “Gangsta Gangsta”, and “Parental Discretion Iz Advised” (that ‘z’ was not a typo).

Despite profane lyrics, I began to enjoy the power and intensity of the beats and countermelodies of NWA’s music because they methodically drove the songs forward. I think the only way that these types of songs are even bearable to current audiences is the fact that we have become desensitized to vulgarity and offensiveness in art and music. This is a very intriguing topic of discussion but I’ll save that for another time. When pondering how this album was accepted AT THE TIME, however, it is no surprise that it utterly shocked the masses. I believe that the album did so well at the time because it was so drastically different and shocking that a lot of people started talking about it. This peaked interest probably allowed the notoriety of the album to skyrocket. This album resonated with suburban white kids because they had never been exposed to such concepts. These innocent kids not only were appealed to the danger of it all but they probably felt connected to the injustice of their situation. Because of this, I feel more qualified to evaluate this type of music even though I do not come from a similar background as the artists.

This album is interesting because it was the first major commercially available album that exposed gangster rap on a new hardcore level. After analyzing other music in the 80s, I could see that rap up until this point had a rather innocent vibe. Centralized in New York, this earlier rap didn’t have NEARLY the same amount of swear words or discussion of gross concepts. As rap shifted towards California, it took on a new sound. While the beats and rhythms got more intensified which is appealing, their lyrics also got WAY more dangerous. I feel that the idea that music (and rock for that matter) is an expression of rebellion is very applicable to this evolution of rap because this album utterly exposes an exaggerated, but true, view of poor neighborhoods.

I generally enjoy listening to this music. With passive listening, I am able to tap my foot to the methodical and repetitive rhythms. With in depth analysis, however, it is hard for me to take this album seriously and try to evaluate all the good qualities of it because I can’t bring myself to look past the lyrics. The lyrics are so vulgar and absurd that it’s almost laughable at how disgusting and intense they are. If you take the lyrics too seriously, it will definitely strip the song of any qualities that it has.  Despite this, the album takes on a very different and fresh method of production. As compared to earlier rap in the decade, this music has much rawer and deeper beats. Additionally, they utilize a very strong bass line in order to drive the main countermelody. These two main music aspects are the main reason that these songs are tolerable for me. I like the heavy beat so much that I can actually block out the disgusting messages that this album (IN PASSIVE LISTENING). Overall, I actually enjoyed this album because it was so different than what we have listened to so far. It’s pure attitude and blatant offensiveness makes me appreciate the guts of these artists.

When viewing the music videos accompanying several of the singles off of the album, I gained a greater sense for what NWA was actually singing about. When I simply listened to the songs I tried to focus a lot on the rhythms rather than the lyrics but the videos forced me to focus on the content of the music. They exposed a reality that seems so far removed from my life. It is hard for me to imagine such a world because of my background but this makes the music videos so interesting. In their videos, NWA shows the injustice of the police which were the main authoritative figure in the poor neighborhoods. Visually, these videos are also different than earlier rap because they told an explicit story that applied towards the actual song’s story. The artists also drastically changed the style of clothing in hip hop. They premiered dress such as baseball caps, sunglasses, and large chains that have maintained in the genre until present time. I felt more connected with NWA’s message with the music videos and it added a visual to enhance the already sick beats and countermelody. Check out the hits off of this powerful album:



No comments:

Post a Comment