Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Nirvana - Nevermind

Before listening to this album, I believed that I had never heard any of Nirvana’s songs before. The name seemed rather familiar to me, but I had no idea from where. I tend to be rather bad at remembering the artist and band names of the songs that I’ve heard, though. When the first song kicked into the main chorus with the drum entrance, I recognized the song instantaneously.  The catchy and very familiar melody had stuck with me from somewhere and I felt reenergized with the sick drum beats and fierce countermelodies. Many of the songs I remembered hearing before after listening to them a second time. Every song that I recognize, I simply love because it’s so exciting to remember these very talent filled pieces of art.

If I were to classify any particular band as rock and roll so far, Nirvana would meet the quintessential stereotype of hard rock. With every drum beat and every strum of the guitar, they release an epic stream of rebellion that fuels a wild attitude and tone to their music. Listening to their music combines an energizing feeling, but their music is rather easy to listen to. I may just believe that it is easy to listen to, though, because I really cherish smooth electric guitar strums that so dominate their songs. I love the way Nirvana is able to mix together steady and constant beats, insane guitar/bass chords, and vocal prowess. While some may argue that this type of music is simply noise and lacks the fluidity of calmer music, I could not disagree more. Although Nirvana does push a much louder and more intense sound through this entire album, there is actually strict organization. If you strip away the loud countermelody for a second, you can see that Nirvana’s songs progress from a quick introduction into a harsh drum break. This entering of the percussion provides a great lead into the main chorus and heavy countermelody. Every one of their songs follows a similar pattern and this consistency pulls the entire album together into one unifying piece of art.

Another thing that I like as this album (AS A WHOLE) is the fact that there is also a decent amount of diversity. While many of the songs heavily utilize electric guitar and bass to drive the songs, there are also many singles throughout the album that rely more on the vocals and use a softer countermelody to accentuate the vocal capacity of the band. “Polly” utilizes decent amount of bass and guitar, but it is softer and muted compared to the dominant vocals. Even the vocals maintain a softer tone that changes the entire song. In the very next track, “Territorial Pissings”, however, Nirvana reverts right back to their “hard rocker” type of music. These tracks I classify because of their loud and intense countermelodies and scream-like vocals. Additionally, Nirvana’s music also thrives in just singles along with the entire album. Each song on the album can be separated and stand independently of one another.  While some are more wild than others and some are more personally appealing to me, they all stand strong to analysis by themselves. This is what I think has enabled Nirvana to stay popular: Because its music is strong as just singles, it enables this band to adapt to the changing structure of the way music is listening (on a strongly single basis). I love being able to digest this album as a whole, but for the main consumer, albums need to be easily dividable into strong singles.

Lastly, I feel that Nirvana has effectively mixed together aspects of a variety of genres into their music. They are a great example of the convergence of various music styles into rock. While on the surface Nirvana may seem like they are simply one dimensional and are focused on “classic rock”, they also mix together elements of country and sometimes the soft tone of ballads. This ability is quite astounding and quite respectable in fact. I feel that they used this in order to accentuate the complete album arc. They maintained a relatively intense sound throughout most of the album, but descend towards the end of the album with country and softer tones. The 11th track on the album, “On a Plain”, oozes country vibes and the album concludes with “Something in the Way” which leaves the listener in a place of tranquility and ultimately desiring more.

Oh, and whatever you do, don’t listen to the bonus track; it utterly stinks.

Check out the following songs, though:






No comments:

Post a Comment