Friday, February 8, 2013

Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On

This album was created during the rise of the civil rights movement, in which many strides were being taken to reform society. This album is a concept album that is told from the point of view from a Vietnam War Veteran who returns and sees a society that is plagued by injustice. I find this concept very interesting and powerful. Gaye is able to send a powerful message and he created his music for just reasons. This adds a level of passion and depth to his music that I find very respectable.

His actual music has a very smooth sound and funky vibe at times. It is hard to describe other than “smooth”. His voice matches almost perfectly into the perfect network of jazzy sounds that his songs create. Listening to his music is refreshing and provides a break from the wild pop music that is so dominant today and disco/funk of the rest of the 70s. A lot of his songs sound similar to each other but I feel this enables a flow to occur throughout the entire album. This provides a level of fluidness that connects his music together under one piece. Like I said in an earlier blog, very few artists are able to create a connected and united album. Gaye proves he is one of those few.

Honestly, I don’t even listen to much jazz or Motown. I am fairly lacking in this genre, so it is interesting to hear such quality of music representing the genre as a whole. I would classify Gaye’s music as easy listening. Listening to the album with the lights off was so calming that I felt like I was transported to a different world. It definitely contrasts starkly from previous things I’ve listened to, but overall, I rather enjoyed the music.

Because I was so stunned by the smoothness of this album, I failed at first to hear the true talent of Gaye’s voice. He is capable of hitting pure harmonies and high notes that some female artists today can’t even hit. He seems to have such control over his vocals and can fluctuate at ease. He has a lot of soul in his voice and his passion for music bleeds through with every new note. I love how effortless he makes singing seem. He sure makes me look bad.

In addition to having a jazzy and catchy beat along with countermelodies that make me want to sway back and forth, Gaye’s music covers societal issues. He is almost like the Motown version of Bob Dylan (except Gaye actually can sing). His songs deal with serious issues such as war and equality during a time where these were prominent headlines/issues. He brings up concerns and I feel inspired people for change. I think this album would be a classic example of how music helped influenced change in society. And what a great way to talk about societal concerns than through a jazzy, smooth Motown album!

It’s time for you to get a feel about the music that Marvin Gaye has made. There is really only so much I can do, however, because the album is best digested in its entirety. If you can, I highly suggest grabbing something to eat, turning off the lights, getting in you favorite recliner and relaxing for a steady half an hour. But, if like me, you don’t seem to have that kind of time, I’ll give you a little sampler below. The first and title single of the album, “What’s Going On”, introduces the main idea of the concept album. There is a mix between rhythmic talking and catchy beat towards the beginning, but this turns into the calming voice of Marvin Gaye. I don’t know why I have such a hard time pinpointing how these songs appeal to me but they just come together so nicely. You really have to hear it to know what I’m talking about:


Flawlessly, the album then flows right into the next song, “What’s Happening Brother”. This song sounds even smoother than the song before it! He takes on a softer tone that maintains the signature jazzy vibe but alters the mood of the song enough for variation. The song also experiments with different sounds and harmonies that spice up the countermelody. While it ends rather abruptly for my taste, overall, Marvin Gaye illustrates his pure musical talent as usual; proving himself one of the great Motown artists. Check it out:

No comments:

Post a Comment