Friday, February 15, 2013

Led Zeppelin Concert Video

After listening to Led Zeppelin’s first album, I felt that I had gained a complete understanding of everything that Led Zeppelin represented. They were versatile rockers that were not the best lyricists. Despite my initial judgments of the band, after viewing a concert video of the band, I feel that I have gained a greater understanding into how they have attained such a high level of success. The video I watched exposes the other side to their music: the actual performance. When listening to just the album, you cannot grasp the craziness and how amazing their performances are. They took their music to another level by showing they know how to not only play music but also know how to entertain.

I also appreciated that it exposed how a classic 70s concert would run. From the dim lighting and single spotlights on the center of the stage to the wild dress and hair, these concerts bleed the classic rocker vibe. The 70s were such a distinct time period in music and while it was only ten years of music, it symbolizes a whole era of change in rock. This is why it is interesting to view the concert because it provides deeper insight to the music scene of the time. This video also must have covered a later part of Led Zeppelin’s musical career because I sense a little harder rock vibe going on which contrasts from some of their original bluesy songs.

Like I said above, I noticed still in the concert that Led Zeppelin does not have the best lyricists in the world. This doesn’t change the overall rebellious mood and tone of their concerts/music. The visual expression of their concerts simply accentuates the “wild” factor of their music. All of Led Zeppelin’s music blends together when they perform into one giant mush of seemingly continuous sound. Their music is so strongly charged that the few silences between the songs seem deafening. I have always been astounded at the amount of space that Led Zeppelin is capable of filling with their music and their commanding stage presence simply adds to this insanity.

I was also impressed by the relatively large amount of chaos in their concerts. While this doesn’t nearly compare to raves of future eras, I think that their music (which has shifted a little harder rock) induces a level of craziness. And it isn’t chaos in a negative way, either. They are able to somehow control the seemingly utter chaos and wield it as a beneficial way to rally their crowd of listeners and followers. The video that I watched also periodically showed up close shots of the guitarists. They hit unimaginable notes and perform insane stunts such as playing a guitar with a bow! I wouldn’t even know how to begin to do that! This simply emphasizes the pure talent that this band has and why they can put on an amazing show.

While I enjoyed several aspects of the concert, it seemed to last fairly long. Because each song flowed directly into the next, I felt like I was listening to one extremely long and monotonous tune. Also, there were periods of time where vocals were obsolete which made certain parts boring. I think most of these complaints though are an effect of my little experience in the concert environment and I think the “wild” factor of the music spiced it up enough to give me a lively representation of Led Zeppelin. Overall, I fairly enjoyed listening to a complete concert because it allowed me to contrast it to modern day and observer how music has evolved since the 70s.

No comments:

Post a Comment