Monday, January 14, 2013

OneRepublic

While the name sounded unfamiliar at first, OneRepublic is a very dynamic band that has actually been on the music scene for a long time. Despite the fact that they seemed foreign to me when their latest single “Feel Again” was released, I quickly realized that I knew a multitude of their past songs already. This wasn’t because they weren’t memorable; it’s just that I have a track record of not remembering artist names that come on the radio.

To my surprise, their musical ability was responsible for churning out several hits including “Apologize” and “Stop and Stare”; both of which I can sing in my head instantly after reading their titles. Their older hits showed their capacity to reach a level of catchiness that makes their music sink into the listener’s heads. While their sound hasn’t changed dramatically from their first releases to their present-day songs, they provide the radio and listener with this rising, new, and fresh sound of alternative rock. OneRepublic gives off a down-to-earth yet hip vibe. They don’t stick with the basics like The Lumineers but rather successfully combine talented (and relatively soft toned) vocals with electronic-influenced instrumentals. They seem like an older version of Imagine Dragons in the fact that they present fresh ideas but aren’t quite as satisfying as some of Imagine Dragons’ hits.

I think this can be lent to the fact that OneRepublic has progressed relatively slowly as a band. They seem to release a song/album and bask in the glory for as long as possible. After being on the music scene for a total of 10-11 years now, they have only officially released two albums! While their third album is coming out shortly, this still seems like a ridiculously long time. Compared to the Beatles’ lightning speed of album release, this seems humorous at best. I believe this lacking has made their sound not change very much throughout their career.

Now, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, either. Their sound started off satisfactory and has simply maintained. While it hasn’t done anything spectacular for me, I’m very interested to see where they go in their third album. I have looked towards their two newly released singles from the album in order to potentially get a better glimpse at where their music is going. And I like what I see (or hear, I guess).

They have the passion and heart of some of the greater artists such as Alicia Keys, which in my opinion goes a long way. Through their songs they explore issues that the listener can relate to. A lot of times this circles primarily around love but there’s nothing wrong with that. Love is a great concept for music to be based on because of its universality. I think where they slightly falter is in the mediocrity of their lyrics. Because they are a slightly more pop-style band as compared to other alternative rock groups, I think the simplicity plague has influenced them. Despite this fact, however, their songs travel at a brisk pace and I never feel myself growing old as I listen to the music they generate. To make up for their slight deficiency in lyrics, they have a full song-arc accompanied with energetic instrumental breaks at times. Overall, their music has pretty high levels of energy.

I know that I’ve been a little hard on this band but they are really really talented! Despite my above criticism, they mesh extremely well. Their perfect blend of harmonies, strong lead vocals, supportive instrumentals, and sick beats drives their music to new limits that ultimately livens up the radio.  For example, I can’t stop listening to one of their latest hits “Feel Again”. Starting out relatively soft and slow, it quickly builds up utilizing low drums and electronic sounds. The vocals shine through the low drive of the song, however. They maintain a steady and consistent aura of pure energy throughout the entirety of the song which keeps it interesting. Check it out:


Okay, this next song was just released about a week ago. “If I Lose Myself” takes on a completely different personality as “Feel Again”. With a funky beat at the beginning, it transitions smoothly into softer rock sound. Almost ballad-like vocals fuse with a soft guitar strums and hi-hat. This one of their songs that really stands out to me because of its variety compared to past music by OneRepublic. Check it out for yourself. I highly recommend this:

No comments:

Post a Comment