Friday, May 10, 2013

R.E.M. - Automatic from the People

R.E.M takes on a very different perspective of rock at this time. Due to the fact that the genre has greatly diversified throughout history, it opened up a variety of styles to emerge. R.E.M takes on a much softer vibe that makes their music take on a tone of peace and tranquility. Although they use many classic rock instruments to push their main countermelody (like bass and electric guitar), the way that they manipulate these instruments to serve a smoother sound makes me want to sway to the lulling melodies. While not all of their songs are slow, their deep bluesy and alternative rock influences from previous decades greatly molds a steady tone throughout the album. This connectedness also serves to tie together the entire album which I always greatly appreciate. Some of the songs are faster paced while others are a bit slower, but they all seem to utilize a calm countermelody.

A lot of the time, bands rely too heavily on their instrumentals and countermelody in order to push across their main message and be appealing to the audience. In the case of R.E.M, the countermelody is just that, a COUNTERmelody! It serves its purpose of backing up the main vocalist. R.E.M perfected a great balance between the slow instrumentals and comforting vocals. While the vocals are high-pitched at times and remind me a lot of Simon and Garfunkel from the 60s, it blends well with the soft bass line and slow guitar strums.

Another thing that I found appealing in their music that seemed rather consistent throughout the album in its entirety was the way that they were able to build up during their individual songs as well as maintain an album story arc. By starting slow and calm in the beginning of their songs, R.E.M provides themselves room for building in intensity. In some of their slower songs at the beginning, they are able to develop a level of dynamics later in the music. When bands use their instruments to play soft sound as R.E.M does skillfully, I tend to forget the true power the instruments actually have. When R.E.M builds in volume and intensity, their countermelodies become more complex and I am quickly reminded of the power music can emit. I also found it mildly humorous when we stopped listening to this album and listened to the next band because the volume/intensity was night and day. But, R.E.M makes a little calm niche for themselves in the relatively insane ecosystem of music.

On a daily basis, I would say that I am a relatively passive listener. When I analyze music, however, I definitely look for some substance in the lyrics as well as having a strong audio skill. I want something that can make me bob my head to the beat, sway to the melody, as well as leave the listening experience impacted by the lyrics. One definite strength in R.E.M’s album Automatic for the People is that they have strong lyrics side by side with calm, down to earth vocals/countermelodies. They remind me of many current bands centered around indie-rock because they are reverting back to a down to earth vibe and refocused on substantial lyrics. Without directly staring at a set of lyrics for a song, I rarely can identify that the lyrics are strong and impactful. I have learned over the years how to  analyzing poetry for meaning and symbolism and doing this with song lyrics is very similar. However, it is definitely hard to consume the art while also looking for lyrical depth. R.E.M’s album made it rather easy, though, which I much appreciated. I could directly identify lyrics that came from the heart and I connected with. I think part of this is lent to the fact that the instruments didn’t overpower the calm, soft vocals and the slow tempo made it more understandable.

R.E.M differed from a lot of what we’ve recently listened and I felt that this was very refreshing. In the midst of wild rock bands like Nirvana and other harder rock 90s bands that emerged at the beginning of the decade along with the rise of hip hop as a genre, R.E.M makes a serene oasis for themselves by putting a majority of their value on lyrics and calm vocals. While hip hop and bands like Nirvana also have this reliance on quality lyrics, it is more blatantly obvious for R.E.M because of the more down to earth nature of their music.

Check out some of their songs. I personally liked their first two songs most. It’s rather calming.



No comments:

Post a Comment