Friday, September 21, 2012

One More Night - Maroon 5

Unlike Grouplove’s Tongue Tied that I blogged about last week, I feel that the lyrics and meaning behind One More Night are very powerful. The lyrical poem that is created throughout this song offers a theme of the conflicts and frustration that love can cause. This is illustrated well in the lyric “Try to tell you ‘no’ but my body keeps on telling you ‘yes’.” Through this, Maroon 5 gets across the emotional message of conflicting feelings. I interpret this to be that, he is frustrated with his relationship but is kept coming back for more: similar to an addictive drug. I watched the music video for the first time a few days ago and I think it is very well done. It works well with the lyrics and musical aspects in order to put across a powerful message.  I highly recommend watching it! It adds a whole other aspect to the song and embellishes on the story behind it that really helped me gain a full appreciation for the song-writing. Check it out here:



This song is definitely amongst my favorite current singles. It has a nice swing-like beat to it that drives the song through off-beat guitar strums. Starting in the beginning, I love how the drums and vocals overlay this basic rhythm. The rhythm is very reggae-like and carries the song well. I feel the vocals have a very commanding presence. While not a lot of vocal fluctuations or vocal ticks throughout the song (which I personally think add that extra punch to a song), it works well with the general mood and aura. I definitely think it’s refreshing to have a song in today’s time based off of something real/emotional. The music’s pain-filled singing really helps this song accomplish a story.
I tend to enjoy songs that get me pumped up, wild, and want to dance; but this song really doesn’t have that effect. My music is kind of like my food: I like a spicy, jalapeno-filled sandwich with that extra zing, but also enjoy smooth, mild peanut butter if done well. While I enjoy wild songs like Tongue Tied or Too Close with that dubstep zing, I also cherish a well-done, calm, and powerful piece. That’s exactly what One More Night is to me. Because I see the depth behind it, I consider it more than just a fantastic song. I think I enjoy it so much because it is a solid piece of work that took some decent talent and songwriting to perform well and it enables me to reflect/connect with the song. Now, don’t get me wrong. One More Night is no crooning Frank Sinatra! It definitely has its kicks and a pretty wicked climax. Maroon Five does a great job of incorporating current beats, rocking melodies, and relatively calm vocals in order to create a phenomenal piece of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment